and I care what you're doing because ....?


"Dude, I'm chillin relaxin and watchin some dog da bounty hunter - holla!"

"listening to my 2yr-old running around the house shooting bad guys- (aka mommy), complete with 'boom-boom, boom-boom' sound effects~"

"im really enjoying my coffee. i wish it was something i could get really messed up on though. i wanna stop thinking."


Above are examples of some of the types of Twitter updates random folks post ... they look, well, sort of useless to me so when I was first invited to join Twitter by a friend it was with great skepticism that I proceeded.


I began by tossing out an update that was inline with what I was seeing from other users, something like "Chilling out - working hard - wondering why Saturday feels like Monday." Okay, anyone following my updates could now learn that I was working on Saturday ... um - ok, nothing new there - everyone I know already knows I work on Saturday. However, I began to prepare to write a blog post and realized I was facing blogjam - because everything I want to post here needs to feel like gold. While I was waiting for the blog wisdom to flow I popped over to Twitter and updated status referring to my current state of blog-readiness. And later, as I sat at a kids party I texted my status update to Twitter and had a great sense of ... well ... for lack of a better word: not-alone-ness.


Later on, when playing around in Facebook I discovered I could add a Twitter badge so that my Twitter updates would show to my Facebook friends (of course, my preference would be for my Facebook status to update automatically with Twitter, but doing that takes some code slicing and I don't care that much). I also added a Twitter badge to this blog. Folks who also had Twitter in my life and saw I was on it through reading my blog (and there are ALOT of folks I found who have Twitter) started following me, and I started following them. As my network grew organically (friends of friends of friends added me) the updates I started to get were actually very worthwhile. I was linked to a viral video, someone sent a link to a blog post on a new Blackberry technology, and I discovered I could follow Barack Obama.


I think what I am appreciating the most about Twitter at this moment is that it isn't heavy, while both Facebook and Myspace offer similar micro-blogging status update options now I cannot navigate to either of those sites without feeling the desire to add more "stuff" to my profile, or go check out how my friends are doing, or listen to some of the crap indi-music they have uploaded, or read the comments and wall posts folks are putting in other people's pages. Frankly, sometimes checking out other folks social networking profiles makes me feel a bit creepy - but I don't have the self control NOT to look @ the latest pics my cuzzins best friend posted or to scrutinize the wall posts from his crazy ex-girlfriend. With Twitter, there is none of that ... get in, update, stay connected, get out.


booyah.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I found your blog through Twitter. I know exactly what you mean about that not-alone-ness. Tonight I was online waiting for HP7 to go on sale and I kept thinking about all these tweets I could have been sending out to people like...well, you for one. It definitely makes you feel connected.

Twitter came alive the other day when the steam pipe blew in NYC. There were all these people offering help to one another, it was awesome. Yes, I used to think Twitter was dumb and useless, but I'm a full-on convert now. Sounds like you are too. See you there. :)