Outlook 2010 Quick Steps for the GTD in Me

So, I want to call out a lovely little feature in Outlook 2010 that has already improved my productivity after just a couple days usage. I've been applying GTD (David Allen's Getting Things Done) principals to my work/life management for a few months now. Of course, as an avid Outlook user (see previous posts on my journey with Taking Back My Life w/ Outlook 2007) one of the most important techniques I learned through GTD has been helping me manage my inbox / tasks / calendar. For me, there have been some minor hiccups in bending Outlook functionality to what I need to accomplish when processing my inbox. Mainly, when I receive email that needs to be turned into a task (which of course, unless it takes less than 3 minutes to deal with, it will end up in my tasks as a next action or a project) – Outlook lets me drag the email into tasks, but I still have to take the extra step to delete the email. And yah, it's a small thing … but when you are processing hundreds of emails at a time it adds up … and frankly, the extra step is annoying – so there.

Well, Outlook 2010 has addressed mini-workflow processes like that with one of their new features, Quick Steps. The little marketing blurb is below – as you can see it's a pretty flexible feature … and it's super easy to do. They even (of course) start you out with some suggested Quick Steps like "Forward to Manager" and "Send Email to Team". I love it when the tool is smart enough to use the directory information to know who manages you and who you work with … I mean, duh, right? Use the info that's there, software – make my life easier!

From within the Outlook ribbon – expand the My Quick Steps area and click "New Quick Step – New Custom Pick from List of All Actions" … building your little mini-macro is as easy as naming the Quick step and clicking your way to happiness. Press "Create" and you're done … easy peasy.

My new step is now easily accessible and with a single mouse-click I can create a task and delete the email all in one swoop. So yes, Outlook 2010 … a thumbs up for productivity ;P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you found a way to assign tasks via quick steps?

SImon

Anonymous said...

I just found quick steps today after upgrading to 2010 last weekend. As a 5 year GTD junkie, a 1-step method to create a task is a great time saver.

But there was a shortcut before. Right click and drag the email to your task icon or task bar. Choose the move option.

interracial milf stories said...

Then he turnsit up load and says we can talk freely now, she cant hear a thing. I asked her how her night was and she said justfine and went upstairs to bed.
real lesbian sex stories
female masturbation sex stories
bdsm animal stories
fatherinlaw fuck stories
bdsm horse device stories
Then he turnsit up load and says we can talk freely now, she cant hear a thing. I asked her how her night was and she said justfine and went upstairs to bed.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet people, its really really pleasant post
on building up new blog.
Here is my blog ridiculously photogenic guy